Fungicides | Treatment & Prevention
6 September 2018
Unfortunately, when the conditions are right, usually damp and humid, fungal disease could appear in your lawn. These such conditions have been common in many areas across Australia in recent months.
When these turf diseases take hold, it is important that you identify and target the disease with an appropriate response quickly.
Fungal related symptoms to look out for:
- Coloured patches or rings in your lawn – yellow, white or brown
- Powdery coatings or threads on the grass blade surface
- Thinned out areas, or areas of wet or slimy looking turf
- Leaf blades with irregular discolouration or texture
What causes fungal disease?
The most common reasons fungal diseases occur are:
- Weather conditions, particularly temperature and humidity
- Overwatering and watering at night
- Soil compaction
- Overfertilising or using the wrong type of fertiliser
- Incompatible grass varieties for your area
- Poor mowing habits – mowing too low in particular
If you have a particularly nasty fungal problem, you will need to apply a fungicide.
Fungicides like Heritage Maxx or Mancozeb kill fungi and the spores within the soil or plant by inhibiting their growth.
Add the required amount of product directly to your spray tank and mix well following the mixing rates and application information on the fungicide label.
When applying ensure even application in order to achieve even disease control. Avoid overlapping sprays.
- DO NOT apply using spraying equipment carried on the back of the user.
- Wait to enter treated areas until the spray has dried, unless wearing chemical resistant gloves and footwear.
- DO NOT use this product through any type of irrigation system or ultra-low volume spray system
- Make sure you wear the appropriate protective equipment and clothing when using the fungicide as per the label instructions
Heritage Maxx is a liquid broad-spectrum fungicide for the control and prevention of turf diseases including – Pythium, Anthracnose, Brown Patch and Spring Dead Spot. This fungicide provides consistent protection of new growth for up to 28 days after application, making it a great option as part of a preventative plan.
Begin applications before symptoms occur when conditions first favour disease and continue applications while conditions remain favourable for disease development.
A dry flowable preventative fungicide formulation for the control of certain fungal diseases including – Fusarium, Rhizoctonia and Grey Leaf Spot.
Apply as a protective spray schedule at 7-day intervals throughout the susceptible season or climate.
A fungicide application should be only considered when a disease has spread considerably and if all other treatment options have been unsuccessful.
Other treatments include:
- Soil Aeration
- Thatch Removal
- Reducing watering and irrigation and
- Reducing shade where possible
As always, if you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to contact us for free expert advice on 1800ALLTURF or 07 5543 8304.
NOT SURE WHICH TURF TO CHOOSE?
Contact us for expert advice, or come & checkout our lawn display at Tamborine